Funding for the podcast and videos by YOU!
Pictures shown in this episode:
For show notes with links and more information visit
Our Listeners of the Week are our 87 Patreon Patrons, including Brian F.
Lee Overstreet is our guest co-host this week while Tom is away.
In the news:
– RBH is discontinuing the Impression and Impression Elite speakers we often recommend, but new versions are in the works:
– New NVidia Shield TV “Tube” and “Pro” models add Dolby Vision:
– Billy M. – Let us know that plugging a Panasonic UB420 Ultra HD Blu-ray player into his Oppo 203 let him use both the HDR Optimizer and anamorphic lens scaling with his projector.
– Lee Overstreet – shares his thoughts on the frame rate of HBO via Amazon Prime Video, and his disappointment with 4K broadcasts of college football.
0:18:24 Brian F. asks if he should get a “Theo” Optoma UHZ65 projector, as modified by TV Specialists, instead of a JVC D-iLA model.
0:27:00 Brannon M. asks about projection distance for his Epson 5040UB, ceiling mounts, picture settings, Panasonic’s HDR Optimizer, Apple TV 4K settings, and acoustic panel placement.
– Peerless PRG:
– Projector Reviews Epson 5040/6040UB settings (scroll down to the bottom:
0:46:09 Shawn W. requests 75-inch or larger TV suggestions for around $1,500.
– TCL 615:
– Vizio P Series Quantum:
– Samsung RU8000:
0:50:41 Infinite Gary gets Lee talking about VHS Hi-Fi vs cassettes, and Rob talking about Canadian NHL broadcasts.
– VHS Hi-Fi:
1:00:44 William B. asks about the best paint and color temperature for lighting. Then we talk about how much space is needed behind an acoustically transparent screen, Ascend Sierra-2 EX output capabilities, and neutral on-wall speaker options.
– Sherwin-Williams neutral gray paint:
– Ideal Lume D6500 lighting:
– Ascend Sierra-2 EX:
– RBH on-wall speakers:
– Legacy Audio on-walls:
1:13:03 Lior stumps us with a strange DTS Neural:X volume glitch, and we talk about using the Audyssey Editor App save & load options.
1:18:55 Stefan B. requests the best “budget” 75-inch TV, so we refer to Shawn W.’s question above.
1:20:40 Dan C. gets a list of AV Receivers that can do at least 5.2.4.
1:24:54 Leighton has older speakers with foam woofer surrounds that are degrading. We discuss repair options, and talk about replacement speaker options.
– Aperion Intimus:
1:29:23 Adam G. asks about room layout, seating distance, screen size, Center speaker placement, projector choices, dual vs. single subwoofer placement, and Atmos.
1:46:06 Lee & Rob review Gemini Man with a focus on how it looked in high frame rate.
Host: Tom Andry and Rob H.
Intro & Outro by Austen Pond
Art provided by listener Ash